Since 1983, the PEF Impact Grant Program has given $3,766,185 to teachers, administrators, and parents to fund projects not covered in the school budget. The purpose of these grants is to reward innovative academic programs and foster excellence in education benefiting all Petaluma area students. During the 2018- 2019 school year PEF awarded $183,003 in grants supporting in a variety of academic focus areas.
PLEASE NOTE THIS IMPORTANT CHANGE to the 2020-2021 PEF Grant Program:
Since late March we have been in regular communication with our districts and principals to identify how PEF can increase our support of local students and schools during this very challenging time. As a result of these many discussions, we are announcing some important changes to our traditional PEF Impact Grant Program for the 2020-2021 school year. These changes are intended to support teachers and students as they navigate distance learning, on-campus instruction, or a hybrid of the two formats.
The two most commonly shared funding needs of all districts are Social-Emotional Learning (SEL) and Technology (access and devices). This year, PEF’s Grant Program will shift from funding a variety of academic programs to support these two focus areas. Awards will be up to $5,000 per grant request. We have also changed the deadline to submit your application (August 25, 2020). These adjustments are meant to provide support earlier in the year and increase the number of schools that can access grant funding at this challenging time.
ELIGIBILITY: Principals with groups of teachers in TK-12 public, charter, and not for profit private schools in the Petaluma Area are eligible for the PEF Grant Program. All grant applications must be approved and signed by the site principal(s). Elementary schools are eligible to apply for one award and secondary schools are eligible to apply for two.
FOCUS AREA QUALIFICATION: Grant proposals must qualify in at least one of the Focus Areas listed below:
SEL – Social and Emotional Learning
TECH – Devices and/or access for parity within a school
PEF believes it is our responsibility to observe and evaluate each awarded grant as an on-going process throughout the academic year. We work with our school partners to ensure the awarded grants are implemented as described in the application and record the outcomes to demonstrate the ongoing impact
PEF awarded over $200,000 in PEF Impact Grants during the 2019-2020 school year include:
- Leveraging Literacy at La Tercera Elementary: $11,682
- Filling the Tank/STEAM at Wilson School: $5,891
- McNear Reading Center at McNear Elementary: $15,000
- Diverse Classroom libraries at Penngrove Elementary: $5,865
- Building the Body/Physical Education at McDowell Elementary: $8,293
- Core Subject Support/Technology at Petaluma Adult School (high school-aged students): $8,931
- Dual Immersion Library Program with Kenilworth /Casa Grande at Loma Vista School: $15,000
- Revamp & Reboot/Technology at Sonoma Mountain Elementary: $10,681
- Social-Emotional Bundles for Student Development at Grant School: $ 8,653
- 3D Printing Access for All Students at Petaluma High: $1,760
- Breakout Edu/ at McKinley school: $4,290
- Math & Science Pedagogical Tech at harvest Christian School: $14,977
- No Place for Hate at Waugh District Schools Meadow and Corona Creek): $6,000
- Earth Systems Studies at Live Oak Charter School: $15,000
- Expanding Capacity at PHS Wildlife Museum at Petaluma High: $7,523
- Phase II of St. Vincent Elementary STEM Initiative funded by Clover Sonoma: $20,000